SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Selections...

As I stated earlier about wanting to hear everyone's choices of what favorite films they would like to share with everyone else, here is my list of the 5 films I chose.

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) Of course this would be here, as it is my favorite film of all time. I usually watch this screwball film 2 to 3 times a year and it never fails to entertain me. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are just perfection together and the film manages to throw in some serious scenes amid all the wisecracks and zany characters. His Girl Friday is definitely a must see film, if you're a fan of Cary or Roz or screwball films in general. Heck, if you wanna just enjoy a terrific and funny movie, then this is for you.

THE LADY VANISHES (1938) My favorite Alfred Hitchcock film, just ahead of Shadow of a Doubt and Rear Window. The master of suspense was still fine tuning his style and this combination of mystery, suspense and comedy works extremely well. Co-stars Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave make a wonderful team with a strong supporting cast to back them up.

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958) Elizabeth Taylor sizzles as Maggie the Cat in this lush Tennessee William's melodrama. You can feel the temperature coming off the screen as Liz totally captivates all those watching her. She gets good support from Paul Newman, Burl Ives, and Jack Carson, but let's be real...Cat on a Hot Tin Roof would not be the same if it didn't have Liz in it.

THE THIN MAN (1934) Screwball meets murder in this delightful film that pairs William Powell and Myrna Loy, who act so comfortable with one another, you don't even view them as acting. Just watching them try to solve a murder and deal with assorted criminal and society types is a treat unto itself.

UNION STATION (1950) Taut little thriller with William Holden as a policeman trying to find a missing girl. Little known film that is extremely satisfying.

So there you have, the 5 films I would show to everyone to let them see how wonderful they are. Maybe this could turn into an ongoing type of thing, where I would chose a particular type of film or actor/actress and let everyone chime in with those favorites as well. But in the meantime, this is the kickoff post to get things rolling. Can't wait to hear everyone else choices. Just shoot me the email or comment and I will make a nice individual post of all those who respond.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wonderful idea!
1. Design for Living
2. Bringing Up Baby
3. The Quiet Man
4. The Bridges at Toko-Ri
5. I Love You Again

But very hard!

Gordon Pasha said...

Always a struggle Monty, but I am comfortable with this quintet.

‘I Know Where I’m Going!’ / Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
Vertigo / Alfred Hitchcock
Bringing Up Baby / Howard Hawks
Le samouraï / Jean-Pierre Melville
Shichinin no samurai (Seven Samurai) / Akira Kurosowa

Gerald (of Laszlo’s on Lex)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails