SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rosalind Russell - Classic Movie Goddess for August

Let me just begin by saying while Roz is not currently ranked in my top 25 favorite actresses of all time, she is still a personal favorite of mine. Mainly because of one reason and one performance in one film. Her portrayal of ace reporter Hildy Johnson in my favorite film of all time His Girl Friday, is just awesome. Her back and forth banter with her boss and ex-husband Walter Burns(played by Cary Grant) makes the movie a dream to watch over and over again. I've seen other films of Russell like The Women (in which she was sensational in that one as well), China Seas, Auntie Mame, My Sister Eileen and others but for me it's His Girl Friday. If and when I get to a list of my favorite film performances her Hildy Johnson will be ranked pretty high let me tell you. So all this month sit back and enjoy my personal views on Roz and my reviews of several of her films and tons of pics and other trivia stuff. Here are some choice quotes of Roz as Hildy from His Girl Friday.

Bruce Baldwin: [Concerning Walter] I like him; he's got a lot of charm.
Hildy Johnson: Well he comes by it naturally his grandfather was a snake.

Hildy Johnson:Now, get this, you double-crossing chimpanzee: There ain't going to be any interview and there ain't going to be any story. And that certified check of yours is leaving with me in twenty minutes. I wouldn't cover the burning of Rome for you if they were just lighting it up. If I ever lay my two eyes on you again, I'm gonna walk right up to you and hammer on that monkeyed skull of yours 'til it rings like a Chinese gong!

Walter Burns: Sorta wish you hadn't done that, Hildy.
Hildy Johnson: Done what?
Walter Burns: Divorced me. Makes a fella lose all faith in himself. Gives him a... almost gives him a feeling he wasn't wanted.
Hildy Johnson: Oh, now look, junior... that's what divorces are FOR!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

His Girl Friday is known for it's rapid and overlying dialogue. Howard Hawks wanted a make the conversations more realistic. He achieved this by having the actors ad-lib and turning certain overhead microphones on and off during a scene.
The result is wonderful I think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails