SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My 5 Favorite Boris Karloff Films

So I was recently challenged by my best friend and blogger extraordinaire Irene Palfy to name some of my favorite things I like about Boris Karloff. I decided on listing my five favorite films of his. In return, I get to give Irene a challenge later on that she will get to post about on her blog, And Then They Start To Sparkle. So here we go, my top five fave Karloff films beginning at no 5.



5.) THE MUMMY (1932) - Fresh off the success of Frankenstein in which Karloff played the scientist's monster, he would tackle another monster the following year as Imhotep in The Mummy. A wickedly good yarn.


4.) THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (1947) - A change of pace for Karloff as he co-stars with madcap Danny Kaye in this fanciful yarn about a day dreaming pulp fiction writer with an over-bearing mother. Karloff lends his sinister presence. 



3.) THIS OLD DARK HOUSE (1932) - Star studded cast of Karloff, Charles Laughton, Melvyn Douglas, Raymond Massey and Gloria Stuart about a group of travelers who must spend the night in one creepy old house one dark and stormy night. Home to one of the most dysfunctional families you will ever see with Karloff cast as the manservant Morgan who gets drunk and gets this party started frightfully. Good atmospheric movie!

2.) FRANKENSTEIN (1931) - The film that made Karloff a household name and it's a terrific suspense/horror film that lets Karloff do his thing.



1.) BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935) - But it is the sequel that is even better in my opinion that is my favorite Boris film. Helped immeasurably by the amazing Elsa Lanchester as the title character.

So there you have it, my top 5 fave Boris Karloff films. And now I will challenge Miss Palfy with a little thing of my own....as soon as I think of one. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Irene Palfy said...

Awesome!! So great to see my beloved Elsa Lanchester here.. ;") And you really picked great films! Esp. pleased to find Walter Mitty here.. ;")

I am curious about your challenge of me now... Hope you enjoyed this - as much as I enjoyed what you delievered here!

Rick29 said...

A very entertaining list! I'd also include Val Lewton's THE BODY SNATCHER.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails