SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From The Past To Now: Grace Kelly to Gwyneth Paltrow

















I know I haven't done a from the past to now post in awhile but considering today is If It's Tuesday, Then It Must Be Grace Kelly, I figured this would be the perfect time to do one. Especially since Grace is the past portion. I chose Gwyneth Paltrow as the modern choice. There may not be too many similarities between the two other than the obvious blonde hair. But when Paltrow started her career, it was apparent that studios and agents were trying to groom her as the next Grace Kelly. So I will give my insight on why I think there is a small connection from the past to now with these two women.
THE SWAN


HIGH NOON


DIAL M FOR MURDER

BEST ACTRESS WINNER (THE COUNTRY GIRL)

Of course everyone knows the Grace Kelly story. Born and raised in Philadelphia to a blue blood family, she struck out on her own to show that she could do it without her family's connections. Some modeling work and some bit parts paved the way for a most glorious run in film beginning with High Noon (1952). She was 23. Next up was the film Mogambo that paired her with Hollywood legend Clark Gable. Grace held her own with the larger than life Gable. The next three years would be Grace's finest years. She would appear in three of Alfred Hitchcock's films: To Catch A Thief with Cary Grant, Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart and Dial M For Murder with Ray Milland. She would score a Best Actress Oscar for The Country Girl in 1954. Grace would end her film career in 1956 with High Society. She would marry Prince Rainier of Monaco in a fairytale wedding. Grace became a princess and her marriage to the Prince yielded three children. Sadly Grace's life came to a tragic end in 1982 with that fateful car crash at the young age of 52.
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (BEST ACTRESS WINNER)


THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY


EMMA


IRON MAN 2

Now Gwyneth's path is a little different than Grace's but they do share some common traits. While Paltrow did not come from a wealthy family, her parents were widely known in the film industry. Blythe Danner and Bruce Paltrow. She picked up her passion of acting from her parents at an early age. By the time she was 19, she was appearing in bit parts in films like Shout, Hook and Malice. It took a role in the thriller Seven that put her on the map so to speak. It also lead to her dating and engagement to co-star Brad Pitt. Pitt was no Prince Rainier but he was rising through the ranks to become one of Hollywood's top stars. Actually once their relationship soured in 1997, Paltrow career got busy and she became quite prolific. Turns in English dramas such as Emma, Sliding Doors, Great Expectations, Talented Mr. Ripley (where she looked positively gorgeous and rivals Grace with this inventive thriller) and Shakespeare in Love (which landed her an Oscar for Best Actress) solidified her career. She even starred in the remake of Dial M For Murder called A Perfect Murder. The remake doesn't hold a candle to the original but Gwyneth was game in her role. Now proving she could do accents in her sleep, Paltrow has since scored in major blockbusters such as the Iron Man films and Austin Powers 3. She would marry musician Chris Martin and they have two children. And she has recently launched a singing career.


So that's my spiel on these two women as I noted some slight similarities. I know as far as looks go, most people might say no way, but I was looking at their career path and films that they did. Would love to hear everyone thoughts.

4 comments:

Irene Palfy said...

I like Gwyneth Paltrow very much I must say..

Patti said...

Since I don't watch many current movies, I've only seen Gwyneth in one film...Emma. And I loved her in that. She played the part beautifully.

Jandy Stone said...

Interesting comparison! I hadn't thought of it before. Usually when I think of modern-day Grace Kellys, Nicole Kidman springs to mind. Especially in The Others - the role is very clearly meant to echo Grace Kelly.

RobinfromCA said...

While I don't think that Gwyneth can hold a candle to Grace (my favorite actress) I do like her and I think she is quite talented. She's proved she can do dramatic roles and comedic. The thing I notice she has in common with Grace (and Audrey) is that she has held herself aloft from the "trashy" Hollywood stuff. No scandals, DUI's, drug busts like so many of today's actresses. Grace and Audrey were also able to maintain a class above their peers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails