SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Classic Stars Match Play # 9 - Fredric March vs Spencer Tracy

Sorry to be running late with a new match play but I've been under the weather these past few days. But I'm getting better and ready with a new match. These two distinguished gentlemen have a lot in common..Fredric and Spencer. Both have won two Best Actor Oscars during their film careers. They both starred in different Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde adaptations. And in the twilight of their careers, they paired up in the film Inherit The Wind. And both hail from the great state of Wisconsin. I know I like both actors and several of their note-worthy films. This might be one of the closest matches ever here on All Good Things. I do not expect a blow-out like the last few matches I have put together. So this match begins immediately and will run through Sunday 7 pm EST. Good luck to both men and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

FREDRIC MARCH



Name: Ernest Frederick McIntyre Bickel
Date of birth: August 31, 1897 (Racine, Wisconsin)
Height: 5' 10"
Academy Awards: 5 nominations, 2 wins: Best Actor - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) and
Best Actor - The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946)
Monties: 1 nomination, 0 win so far
My favorite Fredric film: The Best Years of Our Lives
Match play record: 0-1 (lost to Charlie Chaplin in the 30's era of Favorite Classic Actor
Tournament)


CLASSIC STARS MATCH PLAY

SPENCER TRACY



Name: Spencer Bonaventure Tracy
Date of Birth: April 5th, 1900 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
Height: 5' 9"
Academy Awards: 9 nominations, 2 wins: Best Actor - Captains Courageous (1937) and
Best Actor - Boys Town (1938)
Monties: 2 nominations, 0 wins so far
My favorite Spencer film: Libeled Lady
Match Play record: 0-1 (lost to Robert Montgomery in the 40's era of Favorite Classic Actor
Tournament)

And look who showed up to root on Spence..none other than Loretta Young!


And looks like Coop is here to support his pal Fredric...

2 comments:

Laura said...

This was a close one, but if you put their two Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movies side by side, March is the clear winner. So he gets it for me. I also feel like he tackled more challenging roles overall.

However, I don't mean to disparage Mr. Tracy, who was of course a fabulous presence in whatever he was in. As I said, close call.

Irene Palfy said...

Love the picture from DESIGN FOR LIVING..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails