SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Jean Harlow lights up the screen in BOMBSHELL (1933)

I had never seen this early Jean Harlow comedy before the other night and I was thoroughly entertained. Jean is awesome as movie star Lola Burns as she is riding the huge successes of her career. But she has to deal with loafers and hanger-ons of her family, including her dad (played by Frank Morgan who played the Wizard of Oz). Lola also has to deal with her publicity agent Space Hanlon (played by Lee Tracy). Lola is fearing burn out and would just like to slow things down for a bit, maybe even adopt a kid. Of course the studio and Hanlon don't want that to happen, so they are always conniving to keep Lola right where they want her.
This film had me rolling with laughter. Harlow is very impressive as Lola as she gets to sass anyone and everyone. Her acting ability has greatly improved over the course of a few years. I had just watched Public Enemy before Bombshell and she was kind of unsure of her talent in that film. But here in Bombshell, she is full of confidence and gusto. And what's more is that she was only 21 when she made this film. her chemistry with Tracy is pretty good too. They play off each other really well. And a great supporting cast including besides Frank Morgan, there is the great Una Merkel as Lola's scheming secretary; Pat O'Brien as Lola's director friend, and Franchot Tone as a sophisticate who takes a liking to Lola. I loved this film and I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. Harlow becomes a big time movie star with this one.
B+

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Monty, Awesome review! I'm also working on a Bombshell, movie review, for next Tues.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails