Saturday, May 25, 2013
Be My Guest: Jackie Merritt
Another month means another guest. And this month brings one of my good friends that I met on Facebook, Jackie. So let's get things started shall we...
1. What made you start blogging?
The guest of the month...Jackie
Jackie does not write a blog as of yet
2. Who are your favorite classic film stars? Name as many as you want
Jackie: My favorite classic male stars are Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, William Holden, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman, Gene Kelly, Gary Cooper. Joel McCrea, Jack Lemmon, William Powell, David Niven Howard Keel. My favorite classic female stars are Irene Dunne, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland, Deborah Kerr, Ingrid Bergman, Loretta Young, Maureen O'Hara, Debbie Reynolds, Mryna Loy, Doris Day, Kathryn Grayson.
Me: Nice selection of actors/actresses there Jackie
3. What are some of your favorite films?
Jackie: I love My Fair Lady, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, It's a Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, Friendly Persuasion, Show Boat, The Philadelphia Story, Harvey, How the West Was Won, Roman Holiday, Born Yesterday, Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.
Me: I think you might be my first guest to have Friendly Persuasion on their list.
4. Describe your first classic movie experience. Like where and when..at a cinema, on TV, etc..
Jackie: I think my first classic movie experience had been watching the Wizard of Oz on TV. For years when I was little we would come in on the movie after it had turned to color. We were surprised when we first saw the tornado and the black and white part. I would play Wizard of Oz traveling the yellow brick road around my yard and pretend to meet the scarecrow, tinman, lion, good witch, and bad witch. I had a stuffed Pluto dog that I carried in a basket. And I would sing: "We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz". LOL
Me: The Wizard of Oz seems to be a lot of people's first classic movie experience. That and GWTW.
5. What films upon first viewing did you not like, then later on when re-watching them, loved it.
6. Describe the perfect way for you to watch a classic film.
I love watching a classic movie with my husband in our travel trailer. We have a candlelight dinner first, then sit close together on the couch, holding hands and watch a romantic movie.
How very romantic and wonderful Jackie.
7. How many friends, family member or co-workers share your love of classic films?
Don't know for sure. Many.
8. What is your favorite time period: the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's?
Jackie: I love the 40's and the 50's. Too hard to choose from. But if I have to choose, I would say the 50's: An American in Paris, Roman Holiday, Love Is a Many Splendor Thing, Sabrina, An Affair to Remember, North by Northwest, Picnic, Singing in the Rain, Born Yesterday, Sunset Blvd.,To Catch a Thief, The African Queen. The list just keeps going...lol
Me:That's a pretty good era for films...can't argue with you on that
9. What are some of your favorite film quotes?
1. "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are."Pinocchio. 2. "Good Morning. Good Morning to You". Kathy sings in "Singing in the Rain". 3. Ilsa says, "Play it Sam. Play As Time Goes By" "Casablanca" 4.. "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz".
"I'd think of someway to get him back. Afterall tomorrow is another day." 5. Rose says in The African Queen, "Nature. Mr. Allnut, is what we are put on this world to rise above." 6. Scarlett in Gone With the Wind. 7. Zo Zo in "It's a Wonderful Life". "Look Daddy. Every time you hear a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings." 8. From "How the West Was Won" Lionus Rawlings says,"Ma'am, seems you've been kissed before." Eve Prescott says,"Ain't been kissed permanent before." lol
10. What classic films have you yet to see for one reason or another.
Jackie: I haven't seen Gaslight, A Streetcar Named Desire.
11. What is your favorite genre?
Jackie: My favorite genre has to be Musicals. I love music. Show Boat, My Fair Lady, The Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, Oklahoma, Easter Parade, Music Man, An American in Paris, Royal Wedding, A Star is Born, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Top Hat, are just a few that I like.
12. If you threw a movie theme party, describe how you would do it. The costumes, decorations, food, etc.
I have given movie them parties on Facebook. I call it Dinner and a Movie. and have had different themes for different movies. Last year, we did The Easter Parade. We watched the movie together on TCM and commented. I had everyone to bring to our cyber table a food or drink to celebrate Easter. We had ham and baked sweet potatoes. I made a coconut jelly bean cake. And I asked everyone to wear an Easter Hat. So at the end of the movie, everyone went for a stroll down 5th Avenue with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland singing "In your Easter bonnet with all the frills upon it". It was a lot of fun. We have also watched "The Wizard of Oz" together and had a cyber table of country food: deviled eggs, baked sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, pork chops and strawberry short cake and tea to drink. I dressed up like Dorothy in a jumper and started down the yellow brick road made out of poster board. lol. "We're off to see the Wizard the wonderful Wizard of Oz".
13. What are some films that are widely loved that you couldn't care less about?
Jackie: Citizen Kane, Midnight Cowboy,The Godfather, On the Waterfront, Apocalypse Now, The Grapes of Wrath, Jaws. Horror films and anything that is real gory.
Me: Not a fan of Citizen Kane but the other films I have watched and liked..especially Jaws!
14. Who’s the biggest film fanatic that you know? Besides yourself of course.
My brother-in-law loves movies. He could watch them all day.
15. And finally who are some of your favorite film characters?
Clarence the angel in "It's a Wonderful Life". "You had a wonderful life George." Eliza in My Fair Lady. From rags as a flower girl to riches dressed for the ball, Eliza stole our hearts. "I could of danced all night." Mr. Hobbs in Mr, Hobbs Takes a Vacation. I go into hysterics everytime I see him walking with his long legs bent, looking for birds. "What's that liitle fellow? "Barnswallows".
Thank you Monty. I have had a wonderful time being your guest.
Thank you Jackie for coming to All Good Things and bringing such wonderful answers.