SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Jean Arthur: some facts and trivia

Here are some facts and trivia about Jean, provided by IMDB.




Wore her natural brunette hair color throughout the silent film portion of her career, then began bleaching her hair blonde shortly after she started making talkies.

Department of Strange Coincidences: Jean Arthur's former spouse, producer Frank Ross, next married the actress Joan Caulfield. On the very day following Caulfield's death on 18 June 1991, Arthur died.

 After retiring from films she taught Drama at Vassar.

Was a leading contender for the coveted role of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind (1939).

Director George Stevens famously called her "one of the greatest comediennes the screen has ever seen" while Frank Capra credited her as "my favorite actress".

On the completion of her Columbia contract in 1944, she reportedly ran through the studio's streets, shouting "I'm free, I'm free!".

 Allegedly took her stage name from two of her greatest heroes: Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) and King Arthur.

 Gary Cooper was her favorite leading man.

Even though Jean and James Stewart never bonded off-screen, Jimmy called Jean "the finest actress I ever worked with. No one had her humor, her timing".

She was teaching at Vassar at the same time that Meryl Streep was studying there in her junior year. Upon seeing the young drama major rehearsing August Strindberg's play "Miss Julie", Arthur remarked it was "just like watching a movie star".

 My love of classic movies is beyond measure

Monty

2 comments:

Patti said...

It's always interesting to hear how the stars came up with their new names.

Jean did have many wonderful leading men, but I completely adore her and Coop together in "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town." I know they also did "The Plainsman" together, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.

I cannot imagine Jean in the role of Scarlett O'Hara! Vivien Leigh OWNED that role and is the totally quintessential Scarlett. I can't imagine how Jean (or anyone else!) would have worked as well.

Jean is such a delight, and I saw on TCM where she has a drama collection now available. I have one of her dramas in my DVR, but I have never even heard of the others.

Thanks for sharing these fun facts about this delightful lady.

Lasso The Movies said...

I love Jean Arthur because she is so adorable. Every movies I have seen her in would have been a completely different movie with another actress. But I do agree that Gone With The Wind word out for the best. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of one of my personal favorites.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails