SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

If It's Tuesday, Then It Must Be Grace Kelly - My First Grace Kelly Experience

I believe I was around 16 or 17 when I watched my first Grace Kelly movie. It was Dial M For Murder, her second pairing with Alfred Hitchcock. At the time, I had no idea who she was. The stars I had watched and knew about then were Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, etc.  You know, the big guns. And I had only seen one previous Hitchcock film, Rebecca. And that was in my English class. Anyway, I was immediately impressed with this lovely new leading lady. And not just because of her striking good looks. Just because the way she carried herself in this movie. She plays Margot Wendice, wife to Ray Milland's Tony, who is plotting to kill her. Now Grace's character did have an affair a few years ago and tries to work things out with her husband. It's to Kelly's considerable charm that I did not blame her at any point during this film. Even though she committed adultery, she was just so darned nice and sweet about it. I forgave her immediately. After watching Grace in this film, I had to see as many of her films as possible. And while she did like only 12 or so films, I have yet to see one where she didn't a good performance. I believe Rear Window's Lisa Fremont was her best character and film, just slightly ahead of Margot.  She won her only Oscar for the Country Girl, where she downplayed her gorgeous beauty with a solid performance. But Dial M For Murder will always hold a special place in my heart for me, as this was the first film in which I ever saw her in and was immediately captivated by her. Just a story I wanted to share on this Tuesday then it must be Grace Kelly day. If you have never seen Dial M For Murder, check it out this Sunday on TCM at 6 pm EST.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails