SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Lady Vanishes (1938) - My Favorite Hitchcock film

My favorite Hitchcock film of all time. It mixes comedy with suspense extremely well. Set in the Swiss Alps, a bunch of tourists meet at a village the night before boarding a train the next morning. A young girl named Iris (the excellent Margaret Lockwood) meets a young student named Gilbert (wonderful performance by Michael Redgrave). Of course they meet cute and can't stand each other. The next day on the train the lovable old Mrs. Froy (Dame May Whitty) vanishes and the chase is on to find her. You have to pay attention to the details in this one because things are not what they seem. An excellent film from Hollywood's golden past. One minute you're laughing, then you're on the edge of your seat. In my opinion, this is Hitch's best work. Just ahead of Shadow of a Doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gilbert: Come on, sit down, take it easy. What's the trouble?
Iris Henderson: If you must know, something fell on my head.
Gilbert: When, infancy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gilbert: Can I help?
Iris Henderson: Only by going away.
Gilbert: No, no, no, no. My father always taught me, never desert a lady in trouble. He even carried that as far as marrying Mother.

3 comments:

Clara Fercovic said...

Yes, this is one of my favorite Hitch movies too! I've only seen Michael Redgrave in this one, but I love him, he's so great as Gilbert. The story has the the usual suspense + is funny and very creepy at some points :) I gotta rewatch it soon. Cheers.

Laura said...

I love this movie too! I only saw it for the first time a few months ago.

I just sent you "Be My Guest" answers, Monty...let me know if you don't get them! Thanks again so much for including me. I've enjoyed your other posts in this series.

Best wishes,
Laura

Gilby37 said...

One of my favorite Hotchcock films! Great ensemble cast headed by Michael Redgrave. If you've got a Redgrave starring in a movie, that in itself means it's probably pretty good! My younger brother liked the Angela lansbury version better but it's a bit too campy for me(Cybil Sheperd & Elliot Gould took over for Margaret Lockwood & Michael Redgrave -- enough said!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails