SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Top 25 Favorite Cary Grant Films Part 2 (#1 - 12)

As promised here is my completed list of my favorite Cary Grant films, who is my favorite actor of all time. Picking up at no 12.

12.) I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (1949) Terrific comedy by Howard Hawks and co-starring Ann Sheridan. Cary plays Captain Henri Rochard, a French officer assigned to work with Lieut. Catherine Gates (Sheridan). Through a wacky series of misadventures, they fall in love and marry. When the war ends, Capt. Rochard tries to return to America with the other female war brides. Of course things are not that easy and Henri must resort to dressing in drag to get home. A very funny movie.

11.) IN NAME ONLY (1939) What do you get when you pair my favorite actor with my favorite actress? A heavenly film that's what. This is the only film these two did and it's a great one. One of the best tear jerkers of all time. Grant is in a loveless marriage (with the terrific Kay Francis) and falls in love with widow Julie (Lombard). Expect to do some crying when watching this one.

10.) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) The best film Cary and Hitchcock did. This is basically a dry run for the James Bond films that would follow a few years later. Cary plays advertising exec Roger Thornhill, who is mistaken for a spy. And then framed for a murder he didn't commit, has to go on the run. Thrilling action, beautiful locations, dastardly villians, a suave Grant, and the gorgeous Eva Marie Saint all add up to one of the best films ever made.

9.) PENNY SERENADE (1941) Very emotional drama with Grant teaming up with Irene Dunne (who I believed was his best co-star) as parents try to adopt a child and all the things they have to go through. Heart-wrenching stuff.

8.) MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948) And now begins the screwball run of Cary films as my top 8 films are all comedies starting with this one. He and Myrna Loy play a married couple who are fed up with the city and move out to the country and buy this ramshackle of a house. The situations they have to deal with while trying to fix the place up are hysterical.

7.) THE BACHELOR & THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947) Another team up with Myrna Loy and it's even better than Mr. Blandings. Cary is perfect as a playboy who runs afoul of Judge Turner (Loy) and must date her younger sister (Shirley Temple) or face jail. It's a complicated story but it's funny as can be. Grant is in top form for this one.

6.) THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937) The first pairing of Cary and Irene is an absolute delight. They play a married couple who are getting a divorce and comic mishaps occur along the way. Classic screwball comedy at it's best.

5.) THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) How's this for star power: Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart. Cary plays CK Dexter haven, the ex-husband to Kate's Tracy Lord. Well Tracy is planning on re-marrying much to the dismay of CK and a reporter (Stewart). A sophisticated comedy with three legends giving great performances.

4.) ARSENIC & OLD LACE (1944) Wicked black comedy with Cary as writer Mortimer Brewster who returns home to visit his two kind aunts and realize they are murdering elderly men who come a calling. Mortimer also has to deal with a visiting brother who has just escaped from prison (Raymond Massey) and his sidekick (Peter Lorre). And wonderfully directed by Frank Capra.

3.) MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) This movie is hilarious. And I give all the credit to Irene Dunne in this one. She plays Ellen, a woman who was shipwrecked on a deserted island and declared dead. Well Nick, her husband (Grant) decides to move on with his life and re-marries. Lo and behold when Ellen returns home. Cary is good as usual but Irene is simply amazing. She makes the movie.

2.) BRINGING UP BABY (1938) The classic film with Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Skippy the dog (Asta from the Thin Man movies), a pet leopard named Baby, an escaped dangerous leopard, and an inept town sheriff all combine for a riot of a movie. And you won't be able to get that song out of your head, "I can't give you anything but love, Baby!".

1.) HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) No need to go into detail here. Not only is this my favorite Cary Grant movie, but it's my favorite movie, period. Grant as newspaper editor Walter Burns is terrific and Rosalind Russell is just as good as Hildy Johnson, his ace reporter and ex-wife. This has to be the fastest talking movie ever made. The wisecracks fly by every few seconds and you rarely have time to catch your breath. I watch it a few times every year.

So there you have my favorite Cary Grant films. I can't believe I never had done this before and I've been blogging for almost a year now. Since I've done Cary, I will have to do one for Carole Lombard now. I will try to do hers very soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cary Grants the best! Mr. Lucky, Father Goose and Holiday are my favorites..he never said Judy Judy Judy right? Do you know where its from?

monty said...

That's a good question Catie. Honestly I don't know where it came from.

Sally said...

Great list!

Irene Palfy said...

I think it's "Susan, Susan, Susan" from BRINGING UP BABY - isn't it?
Though I could swear I can hear him say "Judy, Judy, Judy" when I read it - maybe I am just too familiar with that prominent voice.. ;")
My top favourites would include ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, HOLIDAY, SUSPICION and NOTORIOUS.

Dawn said...

Catie, You are right Cary Grant never did say, Judy Judy Judy. Who ever did say it.. was referring to the movie, Only Angles Have Wings, Rita Hayworth's character, who's name in the film was Judy. :)

Elif said...

As an architect my favorite one is #8 :) #23 is also wonderful to watch!

Anonymous said...

What about Come September

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails