Sunday, October 24, 2010
Amanda's awesome survey...
I saw where Amanda started a survey on her wonderful blog, A Noodle In A Haystack. I love taking surveys so I decided to post my answers to her survey here on my blog. She will be compiling all the responses from everyone who takes it and let all of us know the results shortly. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to take the survey, it's fun and you get to learn a lot about your fellow bloggers. Click on the link to Amanda's page for the survey below:
1. What is your favorite movie starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, excluding all of The Thin Man films?
LOVE CRAZY (1941) is hilarious and my favorite of their non-Thin Man films.
2. Name a screen team that appeared in only one film together but are still noteworthy for how well they complimented each other. Cary Grant and Carole Lombard in IN NAME ONLY (1939)
3. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers' best film together? I'm going to go with SWING TIME (1936).
4. Your favorite actor named "Robert"? Robert Montgomery
5. An actor/actress who, when you see one of their movies, you always wish that someone else was in his/her role? Gary Cooper.
6. An actor/actress that someone close to you really loves that you can't stand or vice versa? I love Leo DiCaprio but my best friend can't stand him.
7. An actor/actress that you both agree on completely? Me and my wife both love Sandra Bullock
8. Complete this sentence: Virginia O'Brien is to Ethel Merman as...Judy Garland is to Ann-Margret.
9. What is your favorite film starring Ray Milland? Without a doubt, DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954), where he plays the guy with the perfect plan to perfection.
10. You had to have seen this one coming: what is your favorite movie of the 1960s? THE ODD COUPLE (1968)
11. An actor/actress that you would take out of one film and put into a different movie that was released the same year? I would love to have seen Carole Lombard in My Favorite Wife (1940), even though Irene Dunne did an amazing job. Carole could have passed on that same year's Vigil in The Night.
12. Who was your favorite of Robert Montgomery's leading ladies? Carole Lombard
13. You think it would have been a disaster if what movie starred the actor/actress who was originally asked to star in it? Sammy Davis Jr wouldn't have fit in THE DEFIANT ONES (glad Sydney Poitier got the role).
14. An actor/actress who you will watch in any or almost any movie? Cary Grant
15. Your favorite Leslie Howard film and role? THE PETRIFIED FOREST (1936)
16. You have been asked to host a marathon of four Barbara Stanwyck films. Which ones do you choose?
Let's see, first I would start off with a little comedy with THE LADY EVE (1941), then DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944), then GOLDEN BOY (1939) and finally CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) which is my favorite Barb film.
17. What is, in your mind, the nearest to perfect comedy you have ever seen? Why? HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) To me everything just clicks in that movie from all the rapid fire dialogue to the wonderful chemistry between Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. I really can't put into words why I think this is the perfect comedy but for me this is it. I can watch Friday over and over and never get tired of it. Not too many films can say that.
18. You will brook no criticism of what film? CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958)
19. Who is your favorite Irish actress? Maureen O'Hara
20. Your favorite 1940s movie starring Ginger Rogers? PRIMROSE PATH (1940)
21. Do you enjoy silent movies? The few that I have seen...YES!
22. What is your favorite Bette Davis film? ALL ABOUT EVE (1950) I love that movie and Bette is sensational as Margo Channing.
23. Your favorite onscreen Hollywood couple? Close call between Cary Grant/Irene Dunne and Myrna Loy/William Powell but I will go with Loy and Powell.
24. This one is for the girls, but, of course, the guys are welcome to answer, too: who is your favorite Hollywood costume designer? Edith Head is about the only one I know.
25. To even things out a bit, here's something the boys will enjoy: what is your favorite tough action film?
26. You are currently gaining a greater appreciation for which actor(s)/actress(es)? Esther Williams
27. Franchot Tone: yes or no? no
28. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated? Gail Patrick, Dorothy Malone, Teresa Wright.
29. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated? Katherine Hepburn, just a touch.
30. Favorite actor? Cary Grant
31. Favorite actress? Carole Lombard
32. Of those listed, who is the coolest: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen, or Patrick Stewart? Steve McQueen
33. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:
Comedy: HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)
Swashbuckler: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)
Film noir: THE BIG SLEEP (1946)
Musical: EASTER PARADE (1948)
Holiday: CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945)
Hitchcock: THE LADY VANISHES (1938)