SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Be My Guest: KC (Classic Movies)

My good friend KC is my guest this month, so let's get right to our discussion.

Monty: Who are your Top 5 favorite actors/actresses?

KC:This is a cruel question! But I’m game. Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Ingrid Bergman,
Cary Grant, James Cagney are my Mount Rushmore of classic Hollywood.
Monty: Great pics KC. I'm a big Cary Grant fan as well.


Monty: Describe in detail why your number 1 favorite actor/actress is your favorite.
Jezebel
KC: Bette Davis believed that acting should be larger than life, and that if you wanted real life, you could see it on the street corner. I like that she could back that belief with ability, so that even when she did go over-the-top, she was still turning in a great performance.
Monty: Once again Bette is the choice. Believe it or not but nearly everyone of my guests have chosen Bette as their favorite KC.


Monty: Describe your first classic movie experience.
KC: I think it must have been watching the Wizard of Oz (1939) on TV when I was really small. I’m sure I had no idea how old that movie was. I remember thinking the black and white scenes were strange, and not understanding why they weren’t in color.
Monty: I believe I was around 9 or 10 when I first saw Oz and it blew me away.

Monty: What is your absolute favorite movie?
Anne Baxter, Bette Davis, Marilyn Monroe and George Sanders

KC: I can whittle it down to three: All About Eve, Notorious and My Man Godfrey. Everything impresses me about these movies, from script and execution to the casts.
Monty: Yes to all three KC. Especially All About Eve.


Monty: Describe the perfect way for you to watch a classic movie.
KC: On my big green couch with a snack. I used to like to go to the repertory theater, but people talk so much now. They’re all used to watching movies at home and talking whenever they please. It’s disappointing. I love my couch though.
Monty: I love my couch as well KC.


Monty: What is your favorite time period and why: the 20's, the 30's, the 40's, the 50's or the 60's?
42nd Street

KC: My favorite movie period is the 30’s. I love the zing of early musicals, the rough edges of the pre-codes and the lively, romantic feel of screwball comedies.
Monty: KC, my favorite period is the 30's as well, mainly because that's when screwball comedies were at their zenith.




Monty: Any current stars catch your fancy, if so who are they?
snow!

KC: I’ve liked Kristen Bell ever since Veronica Mars, though I haven’t seen her in anything nearly as good since. Matt Damon is so subtle that often it seems no one notices just how good he is. I thought Michael Jai White was hilarious in Black Dynamite; I’d love to see more of him. I’d see anything with Marion Cotillard.
Monty: I used to watch Veronica Mars and thought Bell was awesome.


Monty: What is your favorite movie quote?

KC: From The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947). I love to say this out of the blue and confuse people:
Hey, you remind me of a man.
What man?
Man with the power.
What power?
The power of hoodoo.
Hoodo?
You do
What?
Remind me of a man


Monty: Classic...

Monty: If you could be any movie character, who would it be and why?
KC: This is a tough one, because one of the reasons I like movies is that I can live vicariously through all these people doing outlandish things, but I don’t have to suffer the consequences of their actions.

It would be fun to be Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey. She comes off like a real nitwit—but notice how she always eventually gets what she wants? This one is dumb like a fox.
Monty: Awesome KC. I love Carole Lombard.
KC: This is going to sound odd, but it might also be fun to be Woody Strode in The Professionals (1966). His physicality was awesome—I’d love to be able to slide off a horse with such elegance, or to charge up a hill without getting out of breath.
Monty: Unusual but still an excellent choice.


KC: Thanks for having me as your guest Monty! It was really fun to answer your questions.
Monty: No Problem KC...glad you could do it and I really enjoyed your answers.

6 comments:

Clara Fercovic said...

LOL, I didn't remember that quote from The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer...
Great guest, cool she could pick 3 of her favorite movies, that's really hard ^^
And as a child I didn't get either why The Wizard of Oz started in b/w, lol.

Tom said...

great interview Monty. I like KCs answers, esp. Kristen Bell. She was good in "Couples Retreat"

KC said...

Thanks for having me as your guest Monty. Some of those questions were tough, but I enjoyed answering them.

Gilby37 said...

Nice to know more about KC -- I enjoy KC's blog and have a link from my page. I hope more people continue to discover all the great blogs out there! Monty this BE MY GUEST spot has been very cool!

Laura said...

I enjoyed this too! Our family loves that "You remind me of a man" thing too. :)

Thanks for helping us all get to know more aobut other film bloggers, Monty!

Best wishes,
Laura

Gordon Pasha said...

Monty: Excellent guest. Obviously a woman of impeccable taste, which I know from following her Blog regularly. Yes Davis, Davis, Davis. For years I would always say Katharine Hepburn was my favorite actress until I again watched yet another Bette Davis movie. James Woods had it right: “Bette Davis was the greatest single actor of either sex in the history of cinema, bar none. There's Bette Davis. Then there's everybody else.”

KC is right on “Eve.” Hard to argue with “Notorious” and “Godfrey.” And to end on the perfect quote: “I used to like to go to the repertory theater, but people talk so much now.” Best. Gerald. (Alas, I am unfamiliar with the work of Kristen Bell. Time warp.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails