SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, February 20, 2011

SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES (1980) seems like a great old screwball comedy and it is

During my childhood, one of the many films me and my family would watch on cable constantly was the 1980 comedy Seems Like Old Times. I know I must have seen this film at least 30 times while growing up. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I recently watched it again for the first time with my wife and she loved it as well. The film stars Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase, and Charles Grodin. Hawn is Glenda, a California lawyer who has remarried to assistant district attorney Ira (Grodin) after a failed marriage to writer Nick (Chase). Well Nick is abducted by two bank robbers and forced to rob a bank and is soon a wanted fugitive. Once Ira hears about this, things become tense between him and Glenda. Of course Nick comes a calling and asking for Glenda's help much to the chagrin of Ira. All of this is played for laughs and the entire cast is game.
Goldie Hawn is definitely one of modern cinema's best comediennes as she gives a star making performance. She is on her A game with this, as she plays hysterical, romantic, smart, and funny with ease. Her co-stars Chase and Grodin are good as well. Chase gets most of the pratfalls and some of the best one-liners. Grodin is actually pretty funny as well. The home of Ira and Glenda is a veritable zoo as Glenda owns 6 dogs, 2 cats, an excitable cook/maid named Aurora, a chauffeur named Chester who tends to drink quite a bit, and numerous clients that Glenda keeps as workers around her to keep them out of trouble.
Things come to a frantic finish as Ira and Glenda are having a dinner party for the visiting governor of California when Nick shows up to turn himself in. Things don't go smoothly and everyone ends up in court for the big finale.
Seems Like Old Times is a wonderful throwback to the marvelous screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's and a perfect showcase for Goldie Hawn. And another plus is the meal served at dinner: it's called Aurora's Chicken Pepperoni and it sounds and looks very tasty. I am now game to try and make it one night for me and Stephanie. As one of the characters says upon hearing what's being served for dinner...."looooooooove that chicken pepperoni!".
B+

"I know I'm a wanted man, but I gotta eat a little something"

"I know I'm playing a ditzy blonde but I can be a lawyer, trust me."

"Aw, crap!"

2 comments:

Tom said...

Monty, great review. Would you believe I've never seen this one. It looks funny, and I like Charles Grodin. Will need to check this one out soon.

Alessandra said...

I saw this movie, it was funny!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails