SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Saturday, July 16, 2011

THE MONTIES: 1935

Back for the next year in my Monties awards and it's 1935. Here are my films and performers I chose as best in show for that year.

FILM
















ALICE ADAMS
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY
TOP HAT
CAPTAIN BLOOD
BECKY SHARP
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN - WINNER
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
ANNA KARENINA

DIRECTOR




















GEORGE STEVENS - ALICE ADAMS
JAMES WHALE - BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (WINNER)
MARK SANDRICH - TOP HAT
CLARENCE BROWN - ANNA KARENINA
MICHAEL CURTIZ - CAPTAIN BLOOD

ACTOR
Charles Laughton in Mutiny on the Bounty
ERROL FLYNN - CAPTAIN BLOOD
FREDRIC MARCH - ANNA KARENINA
CLARK GABLE - MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY
CHARLES LAUGHTON - MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (WINNER)

ACTRESS
Becky Sharp
BETTE DAVIS - DANGEROUS
OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND - CAPTAIN BLOOD
KATHERINE HEPBURN - ALICE ADAMS
ELSA LANCHESTER - BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
MIRIAM HOPKINS - BECKY SHARP (WINNER)

As you can see I awarded Bride of Frankenstein as top movie of 1935 and to it's director James Whale for crafting such a great film and solid sequel. I thought Charles Laughton was excellent as Captain Bligh and usually when two actors both receive a nomination in the same film it kind of cancels each other out. But Laughton was too good. And finally Miriam Hopkins was perfect as Becky Sharp. While her character may have been kind of unlikable, you still rooted for her. And Hopkins was fantastic in the role.

Up next : 1936...

1 comment:

Patti said...

I definitely agree with you on Charles Laughton's performance in "Mutiny on the Bounty." He was fabulous.

I have never seen "Becky Sharp," so I can't really compare Miriam Hopkins' performance to that of Bette in Dangerous. But I thought Bette was totally fantastic in the role of Joyce Heath, definitely Oscar-worthy. If Hopkins was better than that, then I had better see "Becky Sharp."

Have a wonderful weekend, Monty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails