SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

THE MONTIES: 1936 - My girl Carole gets a Montie...

Hey everyone, time for another round of the Monties...and the year is 1936. And for me that year was a pretty good one. So without further adieu, here we go.

BEST FILM

















MODERN TIMES
LIBELED LADY
SAN FRANCISCO
THESE THREE
MY MAN GODFREY - WINNER
SWING TIME
AFTER THE THIN MAN
THEODORA GOES WILD
CAMILLE

This was a close call for me between My Man Godfrey and Theodora Goes Wild. But Godfrey edges out Theodora by a hair. Both are great films though

BEST DIRECTOR




















GREGORY LACAVA - MY MAN GODFREY
WILLIAM WYLER - THESE THREE (WINNER)
FRANK CAPRA - MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN
CHARLES CHAPLIN - MODERN TIMES
W.S. VAN DYKE - SAN FRANCISCO

One of the few times my favorite film winner will not match up with the director. I just thought William Wyler did a magnificient job with These Three, which itself was an amazing film. Sorry Gregory.

BEST ACTOR
















WILLIAM POWELL - MY MAN GODFREY
CHARLES CHAPLIN - MODERN TIMES (WINNER)
SPENCER TRACY - SAN FRANCISCO
GARY COOPER - MR. DEEDS
MELVYN DOUGLAS - THEODORA GOES WILD

Charlie Chaplin gives a masterful performance in this silent classic. No words are needed and he carries this film with all his considerable talents.

BEST ACTRESS

















CAROLE LOMBARD - MY MAN GODFREY (WINNER)
IRENE DUNNE - THEODORA GOES WILD
PAULETTE GODDARD - MODERN TIMES
GRETA GARBO - CAMILLE
MIRIAM HOPKINS - THESE THREE

Everyone knows Carole is my favorite actress of all time and she was never better than in My Man Godfrey as scatterbrained socialite Irene Bullock. But Irene Dunne was close behind her with her wonderful turn as Theodora. Carole denies Miriam from winning back to back Monties. Miriam won the year before for Becky Sharp.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR













MISCHA AUER - MY MAN GODFREY
WALTER BRENNAN - COME AND GET IT
JAMES STEWART - AFTER THE THIN MAN
JOEL MCCREA - THESE THREE
EUGENE PALLETTE - MY MAN GODFREY (WINNER)

Mischa Auer was pure comedy gold in My Man Godfrey but I kind of like Eugene Pallette more as the put upon father of the Bulloch household.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS




















GALE SONDERGAARD - ANTHONY ADVERSE
ALICE BRADY - MY MAN GODFREY
LUCILLE BALL - FOLLOW THE FLEET
BONITA GRANVILLE - THESE THREE
GAIL PATRICK - MY MAN GODFREY (WINNER)

Gail was perfect as the icy sister of Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey. I was surprised that she didn't even receive an actual Oscar nomination. Well she gets a Montie from me and that gives My Man Godfrey four awards, including three of the four acting categories of my Monties. SWEET!

4 comments:

Renata said...

Hehe well, I would have voted for Theodora and Irene but since Carole is my 2nd favorite, I also support your votes =)
I am sorry none of them got the Oscar that year, they deserved it more than that lady who won =( but life is unfair!!!
Wooo so Cary won, that's great, perfect couple, Irene and Cary, just perfection! =)

Audrey said...

I especially love your choice of Gail Patrick. She was great in *Godfrey*. (That's a gorgeous picture of her, too!)

Desiree said...

Ahh, I can't believe how much I've missed.... well, I"m glad Cary Grant is the "favorite actor" =)

Lol, pretty much everyone in My Man Godfrey won a Monty. I like that charlie chaplin won one too =)

Mythical Monkey said...

Gail Patrick is a great pick, one of my favorite overlooked actresses in her best role.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails