SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Monday, July 23, 2012

Rita Hayworth in AFFECTIONATELY YOURS (1941) is wonderful as a girl named Irene..






Reporter Ricky Mayberry (Dennis Morgan) is married to Sue (Merle Oberon) but is a ladies man, with a girl in every port. At the beginning of the film Ricky is covering a story in Libson and romancing rival reporter Irene Malcolm (a gorgeous Rita Hayworth) when he gets a telegram that Sue has divorced him and is planning to remarry Owen Wright (Ralph Bellamy, a mainstay in these type of comedies). Ricky immediately flies back to New York to win Sue back. Irene tags along to find out the truth. This is a lightweight but enjoyable comedy. Dennis Morgan is a suitable leading man. It's refreshing to see the usual dramatic Oberon in this type of movie. She has a knack for light comedies. It's too bad she didn't make a lot more. Rita Hayworth is very good as Irene. Not only beautiful to look at, but very funny. And in one hilarious dinner scene, she gets to put on a very British accent that she nails perfectly. Ralph Bellamy gets his best scenes when he trades barbs with Morgan. And a surprise with Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen from Gone with the Wind appearing as Oberon's servants. McDaniel gets in her trademark line "But I don't like it!" several times during the film. All in all, I enjoyed this film and recommend it to anyone looking for a few good laughs.
B-

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Ah! Gotta love Rita! I've never seen this one, though. I'll have to try to find it!

Patti said...

I've come to love Rita, and this is one of her films I've never seen; however, since TCM will be airing it as part of Rita Hayworth day during Summer Under the Stars, I am going to set my DVR. You know I'm not huge on comedy, but every now and then, they fit the bill nicely. This sounds quite cute. And Dennis Morgan has the cutest lopsided smile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails