SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, December 25, 2011

COME SEPTEMBER (1961) made for a delightful movie to watch on Christmas evening


After enjoying a wonderful Christmas dinner at my mom with my wife and three sisters, I came home to find that the film Come September was showing on TV. This 1961 comedy starring Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin is a very funny film. I had only seen it one time before and it's been years ago. So I only had missed like the first 20 or so minutes as I sat down on my comfy sofa to watch the rest of it.
Rock and Gina
Hudson is in good form as wealthy industrialist Robert Talbot who visits his Italian villa every September. This year he comes early in July and finds a boatload of trouble. First his long time girlfriend Lisa (played by Lollobrigida) who is tired of waiting on Robert to pop the question, decides to marry another man. Secondly, the major domo of his villa, Maurice (played by Walter Slezak) has turned the villa into a hotel to make some easy money while Talbot is away. And lastly, his place is run amok with a pack of vacationing American girls with the winsome Sandra Dee leading the charge. Plus a group of American boys led by Bobby Darin camp outside waiting to make their move on Dee and her friends, much to the chagrin of Talbot.
Bobby makes his move..


Come September is a breezy battle of the sexes type comedy with Hudson being very funny. He has wonderful chemistry with Gina too. Their  scenes together are the best in the film. Rock is in great shape and Gina looks stunning. Wearing some of the best clothes one would wear during the 60's. Evening wear, sun dresses, you name it, Gina wears it amazingly well. A nice movie to see on a casual Sunday.
B+

Everyone goes on a little motor scooter ride thru the Italian countryside

3 comments:

Patti said...

I had little exposure to Bobby Darin prior to this film. I really like him. What a shame he died so young.

Rock was wonderful in this movie. I like him alot...definitely on my top 20 actor list.

Dawn said...

I loved the scene where Rock Hudson, dances with Gina Lollobrigida, looking like he is really enjoying himself.

I also, loved that it was filmed Italy, with some wonderful views.

The film is very entertaining to watch after a busy day with the fam. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

My favorite scene is where Bobby and friends are trying to get Rock drunk and wind up totally schnockered instead. Love Bobby and Sandy when she's trying to get him onto the tray table to roll him out to the fountain. It's one of my absolute favorite Darin films, especially knowing that this is where they fell in love in real life. He was taken from us way too soon to have reached his potential.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails