SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I couldn't stand being with FUNNY FACE (1957) but THE LEMON DROP KID (1951) was my kind of buddy that I could hang out with...

Last night I started to watch Funny Face for the very first time in honor of Audrey Hepburn week at my house. Twenty minutes in, I had to stop watching. Talk about excruating. This was a very painful film to watch. Well try to watch anyway. A bright and cheery musical that never caught my eye before. I now know why. Even when Audrey makes her appearance about 10 minutes in, as bookstore clerk Jo Stockton, the movie still doesn't pick up. If anything it drags even more. Audrey's voice in this is so weird sounding, it just took me right out. She was a smart and independent young woman but her voice just bugged the crap out of me. And when Fred Astaire plants a kiss on her early on, I just thought..eeeewwwwww!


So what to do. I could start the next Audrey film in my line-up, Sabrina, which I know is good or watch something else. Well TCM happened to be showing the 1951 Bob Hope film, The Lemon Drop Kid, and to my luck I had only missed the first 10 minutes or so. I started watching this light comedy and loved it from the word go. Bob Hope is in great form as The Kid, a guy who loves to bet and who loves lemon flavored candy. He gets into trouble when he gives a girl a bad tip on a horse and the girl's gangster boyfriend wants The Kid to cover his losses to the tune of $10,000. So Hope has to do some scheming and fast thinking to come up with the dough such as starting a home for old ladies to raise money. Backed by a terrific supporting cast inlcuding Jane Darwell, William Frawley, Llyod Nolan and the underrated Marilyn Maxwell.  And it's set at Christmas time, which makes it perfect viewing for the holidays. With Maxwell getting to sing a stirring rendition of Silver Bells. Hope even gets in a great classic one liner to end the film too. A little joke at his old buddy, Bing Crosby's expense. The Lemon Drop Kid saved my movie watching night and became one of my new best friends. Funny Face, I don't think I will be seeing her again anytime soon.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Remember our brief conversation the other day...about the 4 Audrey films you planned on watching. I said this was the only one I hadn't seen...I purposely didn't tell you why I hadn't seen it, as I didn't want to influence you in any way. But I felt the same way. It was a 1-star, had-to-turn-it-off kind of movie for me. NEVER got my attention, even after a half hour.

I saw The Lemon Drop Kid on the TCM schedule today, but I didn't set the DVR for that. I did record 3 Van Heflin films though...wishing I had also recorded the one that was on at 4:45 a.m. (Recording that many Van Heflin films is HUGE for me, as not too long ago, I couldn't stand him...thought he was so milque-toasty.)

I'm off to "Inferno." I'll let you know what I think. I am beyond excited for it. I hope that doesn't mean I'm in for a letdown, as I was with my Gary Cooper book (review set for tomorrow.)

Tom said...

Monty I can't remember the last time you disliked a film so much. I bought the DVD a few months ago, but have never watched it (I bought it mainly for the DVD extras). Glad to get your feedback which will prepare me when I watch it.

KC said...

Wow--I'm trying to remember the last time you said something so negative about a movie! Funny Face rubbed me the wrong way as well. Even though it seems to work in theory, part of the problem is that the bohemian role doesn't seem to suit AH. And she doesn't fit into those upbeat musical numbers very well either. I'm not meaning to put all the blame on Hepburn though, overall, the flick just didn't grab me.

Dawn said...

I dont think I have seen the film, Funny Face. I think I will run over to TCM video, to see if there are a couple of videos posted.

Dawn said...

Monty, I just watched the movie clips over on TCM's movie site. From what I saw, it looked like it was a beautiful movie set in France. But.. it sounds like Audrey voice should have been dupped.

Did you know:

Audrey Hepburn's terrier appears as the dog in the basket during the "Anna Karenia" train shot.

Audrey Hepburn was offered the lead role in Gigi but turned it down to make this movie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails