SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Lombard Cup Final Matches

This week of the final six matches is really just perfunctory as Team Classic has already wrapped up the cup with a thorough beat down of Team Modern. But it will be interesting to see if Team Modern can snag a few more victories this final week. They have only won one match..that was when Harrison Ford edged out James Cagney in the first week of Lombard Cup play. And Team Modern do have a few heavyweights left so it should be interesting. The matches begin today and will run through Wednesday night. Thanks to all those who voted and hope you guys return next month for my screwball tourney. Here are the matches:



MATCH 16:
PAUL NEWMAN vs MICHAEL DOUGLAS
The much loved Paul Newman takes on Kirk's eldest son, Michael in a match that
Paul will probably win. Although Michael Douglas is one of my favorite modern
actors.



MATCH 17: 
ERROL FLYNN vs TOM HANKS
Swashbuckling Flynn vs everyman Hanks. I know Flynn has quite the fan base here
in classic blog land but Hanks is also much loved too. This one could  go either way.




MATCH 18:
JAMES STEWART vs JACK NICHOLSON
Awww shucks Jimmy takes on mad dog Jack. Man, this should be a really good match.
I would not be surprised if this ends up a tie.




MATCH 19:
CHARLIE CHAPLIN vs MORGAN FREEMAN
The legendary Chaplin will probably defeat Morgan Freeman but I don't blink it
will be a blow-out.




MATCH 20:
MARLON BRANDO vs DENZEL WASHINGTON
If there is one match where I think Team Modern could get a victory, it has to be this
one. No disrespect to Brando but I think Denzel can win this. But we'll see.



MATCH 21:
MONTGOMERY CLIFT vs ROBERT DUVALL
And finally Monty battles Robert in the anchor match which should be another interesting
one. I'm going with Duvall in this one.

So those are the matches and my thoughts on them as well. I want to thank everyone
for making this a great success. And The Lombard Cup will return next year with the
ladies.

2 comments:

Page said...

HEY! Who's voting on these gents? While I think the living actors are quite talented, Freeman above Chaplin and Nicholson about Stewart? You must have very young readers, Monty. ha ha

Going to go weep.
Loving this one but I probably won't enjoy the final vote.
Page

Patti said...

Believe it or not, this is the one round where I actually chose a modern guy, and that would be Denzel. Not only is he my favorite modern actor, but I don't care for Brando at all. However, had he been up against Clift (as Duvall, who I also like is), my love for team classic would have won out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails