SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Lombard Cup: Selection Saturday

This morning I made my selections for the pairings of the 20 matches between classic era and modern era actors. You may be wondering how I chose the pairings. Wonder no more. The pics below show the baskets which I pulled names from at random to make this truly a tourney of chance. Just depends on what actor from the classic era will face a modern era actor. The inspire basket held the classic era actors while the scarecrow basket contained the modern era actors. Funny thing about the inspire basket is that I picked it up at Michael's Arts and Crafts because we needed a new one to hold our mail and letters and such. Well this one looked nice and it cost $12 bucks but was on sale and cost $8. But while standing in the check out line which took forever, a great thing happened. The cashier scanned the barcode and it came up 1 cent. She blared it out on the speaker...We have a one center! The manager came up and verified and I was like whoa, this only cost me one cent? Wow! What a nice surprise. Anyway on with the matches, and please note that each week will feature five matches a week. Each winner gets one point for their respective team and a tie will net half a point for each competitor. I will tally up the points at the end of the month to declare which era racked up the most wins and points. The first five matches begin tomorrow evening and will run through Thursday evening. And this was really fun picking the matches as it was like picking blindly and not having a set ranking to go by. Really cool. Oh and I had to had another match just so things would not end in a tie. They still may but at least there is a better chance with 21 matches instead of 20 that it won't. Thanks to my friend and fellow blogger Patti for mentioning the fact that there was no Sean Connery. As much as I wanted to include him in this year's Cup I went with another of Patti's faves, Montgomery Clift. He will face modern era actor Robert Duvall in the bonus match. But if this turns out to be an annual event then I will drop some actors from this year's competition and include new ones for next year.



MATCH 1: STEVE MCQUEEN vs CLINT EASTWOOD (Clint could have easily been chosen for
the 60's era but since his career achieved even greater heights later on, I decided he would best fit
on the modern era team)
MATCH 2: SPENCER TRACY vs TOM CRUISE
MATCH 3: JAMES CAGNEY vs HARRISON FORD
MATCH 4: CARY GRANT vs JOHNNY DEPP 
MATCH 5: CLARK GABLE vs DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
MATCH 6: JOHN WAYNE vs ROBERT DOWNEY, JR
MATCH 7: HUMPHREY BOGART vs AL PACINO
MATCH 8: SIDNEY POITIER vs RUSSELL CROWE
MATCH 9: GREGORY PECK vs LIAM NEESON
MATCH 10: BURT LANCASTER vs GEORGE CLOONEY
MATCH 11: GARY COOPER vs GARY OLDMAN
MATCH 12: JACK LEMMON vs LEONARDO DICAPRIO
MATCH 13: KIRK DOUGLAS vs CHRISTOPHER WALKEN
MATCH 14: WILLIAM HOLDEN vs ROBERT DENIRO
MATCH 15: WILLIAM POWELL vs SAMUEL L. JACKSON
MATCH 16: PAUL NEWMAN vs MICHAEL DOUGLAS
MATCH 17: ERROL FLYNN vs TOM HANKS
MATCH 18: JAMES STEWART vs JACK NICHOLSON
MATCH 19: CHARLIE CHAPLIN vs MORGAN FREEMAN
MATCH 20: MARLON BRANDO vs DENZEL WASHINGTON
MATCH 21: MONTGOMERY CLIFT vs ROBERT DUVALL


Pulling Gregory Peck out of the basket...

I have to say some of these matches should be very, very exciting. Grant vs Depp. Bogie against Pacino. Holden vs DeNiro. Stewart vs Nicholson. Brando vs Washington. Oh my! I will post the first five matches in a post later on this evening with some stats and trivia. Can't wait for this thing to get started. 



And here's our mistress of ceremony Carole Lombard,
who I so named the cup after....
hold your horses Carole, voting doesn't start
until tomorrow!

4 comments:

Patti said...

Interesting match-ups!! Should be so much fun!

You know I watch very few current films, so a few of the actors (like Gary Oldman), I don't even know. (Like it would matter, since he's facing Coop!)

My favorite modern actor is Denzel, and since he'll be facing someone I don't care for, it will be an easy choice for me. Now, if Denzel had been facing Monty, Coop, Cary, or Holden, he would have been out of luck. Alas, though, he's facing Brando, so this "only like the classics" gal will actually be voting for a modern guy!!

By the way, I love the "inspire" basket, and how cool that you got it for 1 cent. Do they regularly do that with some of their merchandise? Mark it down so that their customers receive a pleasant surprise at the cash register?

Have a great day!

Patti said...

Oh, I have to tell you that I also do rather like Robert Duvall. (I love Lonesome Dove). Putting him against Monty just was not fair!!

Kristen said...

Monty you're killing me! Cary Grant vs. Johnny Depp?! That will be the toughest decision ever!

Patti said...

I read this list to my son, and even though he loves modern movies, you have him in a quandary on quite a few of the matches...Poitier and Crowe, Lemmon, and Leo, Powell and Jackson.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails