SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Classic Stars Match Play #19 - Joel McCrea vs Robert Taylor

I know the favorite actress tournament will be kicking off in about 2 weeks but I still wanted to have at least one more match play. This time with the gents. Joel McCrea vs Robert Taylor. These guys both competed in last years actors tourney and the one thing they had in common: getting trounced by eventual champion Cary Grant. But Cary beat everyone so that's not a surprise. Anyway this match begins today and runs through Sunday 1 PM EST. Good luck to both men.

JOEL MCCREA

Name: Joel Albert McCrea
Birth Date: November 5, 1905 (South Pasadena, California)
Height: 6' 3"
Academy Awards: none
Monties: Two nominations (one for Best Supporting Actor - These Three: one for Best Actor
- Dead End)
My favorite McCrea film: These Three (1936)
Match play record: 1-1 (beat Bing Crosby in the 1940's era of the favorite classic actor
tournament before losing to Cary Grant)

CLASSIC STARS MATCH PLAY

ROBERT TAYLOR

Name: Spangler Arlington Brugh
Birth Date: August 5, 1911 (Filley, Nebraska)
Height: 5' 11 1/2"
Academy awards: none
Monties: 1 nomination (Best Actor - Waterloo Bridge)
My favorite Taylor film: Waterloo Bridge (1940)
Match play record: 0-1 (lost to Cary Grant 51-6 in first round of favorite classic actor
tournament 2010)

3 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, I adore Robert Taylor! (He's not up there with "the beloveds," but he's firmly between 5 and 10 on my all-time fave list!) "Waterloo Bridge" is my fave of his films. "Camille" was on yesterday, and I set my DVR. Can't wait to watch it!!

I love Joel McCrea too, but I recently removed him from my top 20 list so I could make room for Van Heflin. It killed me to do that, but I'm watching more of Van than Joel these days.

Ginger Ingenue said...

Joel McCrea. Joel McCrea. Joel McCrea.

If I could vote ten times, I would. ;)

Anonymous said...

This blog feature is an odd popularity contest...
I like both actors. I wouldn't want to assign a value or choose between actors/actresses of the Golden Age, or any age. A good actor/actress is just a joy to watch, usually.
Oddly enough, although I watch their movies, sometimes, I don't really care for Bette or Marlon, who are often touted as the best... perhaps that's more because of their offscreen personas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails