SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Be My Guest: Marsha Collock aka Flick Chick

This month, my guest is the much loved and well known Marsha. Better known as Flick Chick. She has this wondrous page at Facebook. And one cool blog called A Person in the Dark. I was glad she accepted by invite to be my guest this month so we can all get more acquainted with her. So let's get right to it shall we..



Me: What made you start blogging?

Marsha: I love to write and I love movies, so I took a small plunge with a little post and just got carried away! I don't know how long I'll keep it up, but for now, it is rewarding.

Me: Well I for one hope you keep going for a very long time.

Me: Who are your favorite classic film stars? Name as many as you want

Marsha: I am sure this is a hard question for most film lovers and like most others, my favorites have changed over the years. I'll try to confine it to my top 5 male and female stars:

Male
Cary Grant
Charlie Chaplin
James Cagney
Buster Keaton
William Holden

But may I add: Douglas Fairbanks, Sr, Jack Lemmon, Peter O'Toole, Edward G. Robinson and William Powell?

Female:
Ann Dvorak
Audrey Hepburn
Vivien Leigh
Joan Crawford
Doris Day

But just can't omit: Clara Bow, Mary Pickford, Ann Sheridan, Susan Hayward, Hayley Mills, Jean Harlow, Irene Dunne and Kay Francis.

Me: Your list was immediately great when you led off with Cary Grant!

Me: What are some of your favorite films? 

Marsha: Sunset Boulevard, City Lights, Vertigo, North By Northwest, Gigi, The Apartment, Laurel & Hardy's Big Business, and a bunch more!

Me: Some excellent films there Marsha. Especially Sunset Boulevard and The Apartment.

Me: Describe your first classic movie experience. Like where and when..at a cinema, on TV, etc..

Marsha: The very first classic film and star that I became enamored of was James Cagney in "The Public Enemy," which I happened to catch on a Sunday afternoon on WNEW channel 5 in NY. I was probably about 11 or 12. Prior to that, I discovered that I had the capacity to sit through multiple viewings of the same film (a sure sign of a movie junkie), when WOR channel 9 showed Abbott and Costello's "The Time of Their Lives" on Million Dollar Movie. The same movie ran every night during the week and I didn't miss one showing. The first classic film I saw in a theater was a re-release of "Gone With the Wind." Before it went to TV, this was a very big deal. And just to bring the story full circle, when the "Theme From Tara" started to play, I immediately thought "hey, that's the theme from Million Dollar Movie!" Anyone from NY in the 60s will know what I mean!

Me: Awesome Marsha!

Me: What films upon first viewing did you not like, then later on when re-watching them, loved them?

Marsha: Vertigo took a few viewings, now I'm obsessed (in a good way, of course). I admit it took a few viewings for Casablanca to grow on me (but now it has). I always have a bit of a problem with Bogart. I always end up liking him, but I have to force myself to sit down and watch him.

Me: I see...I was the same way with Vertigo as well.

Me: Describe the perfect way for you to watch a classic film.
Marsha dreaming of the perfect movie to watch...

Marsha: Seeing a classic film on the big screen with others is a treat, of course, and nothing beats seeing a silent with an audience full of people and live music. But, my first experience was alone, one the floor with a bowl of popcorn, getting lost in black and white (ok - everything was black and white in those days!), so I guess that still remains my favorite (but on the sofa now, not the floor!).

Me: Cool..nothing can beat a sofa in the comfort of your own home.

Me: How many friends, family member or co-workers share your love of classic films?

Marsha: Zero (though some pretend to be interested). This is why blogging and Facebook has proved to be such a blessing. It's been great fun to connect with people who share the same passion.

Me: Cool. And it is great to meet fellow classic movie lovers blogging and on facebook I completely agree. 

Me: What is your favorite time period: the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's?

Marsha: That depends on what phase I am going through. All eras have been my favorite at one time or another. Right now, I seem to be loving the 50s.

Me: The 30's is my fave, but I love the 50's too.


Me: What are some of your favorite film quotes?

Marsha: Some favorites that I use are"
"It's lavish, but I call it home" - Waldo Lydecker, "Laura"
and a bunch from "Sunset Boulevard":
"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
"They'll love it in Pomona"
"Stars are ageless"
"If you need any help with the coffin, call me."

Me: What classic films have you yet to see for one reason or another?

Marsha: I have not seen as many classic foreign films as I'd like, so high on my list are:
Belle de Jour
The Bicycle Thief
Breathless, and
The Earring of Madame de.....

Me: Oh Marsha, you need to see Belle de Jour. In fact you need to see all of Catherine Deneuve's films ASAP. Kim Wilson can back me up on that.

Monty: What is your favorite genre?

Marsha: This again depends on the phase I am in. I am not a war or western fan (just a typical chick). I blow hot and cold with Noir - but I love a good mystery spiced with a sense of humor.

Me: cool

Me:  If you threw a movie theme party, describe how you would do it. The costumes, decorations, food, etc.

Marsha: Oohh, I would love to throw a "Dinner at Eight" party. Naturally, I would be a platinum blonde in a tight, white satin evening gown! The entire theme would be white, and I would have white phones and boxes of bon-bons strategically placed throughout.  Cocktails would be made in elegant, silver cocktail shakers, dinner would be served at eight (naturally), and the aspic would make it to the table!

Me: Sweet! I imagine it would be one heck of a party!

Me:  What are some films that are widely loved that you couldn't care less about?

Marsha: The Godfather and all sequels. Plus any war movies, great or otherwise. Sorry, I am a total chick.

Me: That's cool Marsha...

Me:  Who’s the biggest film fanatic that you know? Besides yourself of course.

Marsha: Well, there are a few people on my FlickChick Facebook page (who I won't name) who are just amazing. They blow me away with their knowledge and love of film. But, one film lover I truly admire is Woody Allen, whose movies always show his love of the medium. However, I will give a shout out to my late Aunt Lois who had photos of Rudolph Valentino on her bedroom wall as a teen and always referred to Jean Harlow as "Jean," as though she knew her personally. Here's the link to Marsha's FB page:  flickchick

Me: That's great Marsha. And might I add, your FlickChick page is just amazing.

Me: And finally who are some of your favorite film characters?

Marsha: The Little Tramp, CK Dexter Haven, Gigi and - my all time favorite, Lina Lamont from "Singing in the Rain." That character deserved her own movie!

Me: Can't argue with you there. 

I hope everyone enjoyed having Marsha (flickchick) stop by here this month and now know her just a little bit better. Please stop by a her amazing blog if you haven't before. It's a treat. Thanks again Marsha for coming by. Here's the link to her blog btw:  A Person in the Dark




My love of classic films is beyond measure

Monty

4 comments:

Irene Palfy said...

Agree with many things on you, Marsha! Esp. about Lina Lamont - and Ann Dvorak (and most of your other fave female actors..)! Love most of your favourite films, too. Glad to learn more about you!

Kimberly J.M. Wilson said...

Okay, I agree that you need to see Belle de Jour. BUT...I can't say that you have to see all of Madame Deneuve's films (as I've seen 99% of them, so I feel qualified to say this), because some of them are less than desirable. In addition, The Earring of Madame de... is essential viewing. Watch more foreign films!

Kristen said...

Marsha I totally agree on multiple viewings were needed with Vertigo and Casablanca. Glad to know I'm not weird for not liking these movies immediately.

I always love to discover new bloggers, hopefully one day I'll maybe be on answering these questions for you wink wink lol

UneCinephile said...

Marsha i completely agree with you on Lina Lamont!! i love her so much she is one of the best movie characters ever. i always say she not a bad guy she's an antagonist but not a bad guy in any sense.
i loved reading your answers they were great :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails