SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Friday, April 6, 2012

Championship Match is now set...GINGER ROGERS vs NATALIE WOOD

Well, well, well..if you had told me at the start of the favorite classic movie actress tournament, featuring 128 women, that the final match would be between Ginger Rogers and Judy Garland, I would have said no way! But that was what it was looking like up until 5 hours ago. While Ginger made it, Judy faltered down the stretch. Natalie Wood, who had been down the entire match since day one, made a furious comeback on the final day to beat Judy 140-130. So Wood, who was in the final four last year, only to lose to Vivien Leigh in a semi-final match, now is headed to the championship match.  And she will need to bring her A game as Ginger Rogers has been rolling in the tourney ever since she knocked off defending champion Irene Dunne. So as we get set for the final match which will begin on Saturday morning, here is how the ladies got here to the promised land.



CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

GINGER ROGERS (30'S ERA CHAMPION)




Defeated Joan Blondell 58-30
Hattie McDaniel 85-42
Irene Dunne 264-214
Greta Garbo 177-78
Carole Lombard 141-94
Grace Kelly 184-56

As you can see Ginger's fans came out when she battled Irene Dunne and never went away as she
has steamrolled over everyone else...


VS

NATALIE WOOD (60'S ERA CHAMPION)




Defeated Stella Stevens 52-9
Hayley Mills 57-29
Jane Fonda 65-59
Catherine Deneuve 53-32
Jean Simmons 45-25
Judy Garland 140-130

Natalie had only one real nail biter before her match with Judy and that was against Jane Fonda in round three where she prevailed by 6 votes. But this comeback victory over Judy Garland has to be one of her biggest wins, as it gets her into the final match for the very first time. Way to go Natalie!

The match starts Saturday morning and will conclude on Tuesday evening and then we will have our Favorite Classic Movie Actress champion of 2012. And yes I am going for Natalie!


My love of classic films is beyond measure

Monty

11 comments:

Kristen said...

GO NATALIE!

Dawn said...

I will be happy with whoever wins.. I voted for.. Ginger:)

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

I just voted, talk about neck and neck! Yay, Natalie!!!

Shabbychicdiva said...

Go Ginger!!!! :-)

VKMfanHuey said...

...well, honestly, I REALLY love Natalie, but...again, pretty obvious who I voted for...

...BTW, Robin, it's totally fine you are Natalie fan, but...just wondering if you knew Ginger was a BIG tennis player as well?

y'all have a great Easter weekend!!!

VKMfanHuey
---

Lady Fioraon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Fioraon said...

I'm sure you know this, Huey, but I just read on espn that at age 39 Ginger played mixed doubles in the US Championship at Forest Hills. She lost in the first round, but still it's quite an accomplishment to make the tournament. I've also read that she was the best female tennis player in Hollywood in her day.

Well, I've logged my vote...now it's on to rustle up some other Ginger fans because Natalie is a tough and worthy opponent.

Patti said...

Well, you know where I have to go on this one...with a puppy named Ginger and a husband in love with Miss Rogers, my choice is clear!!

VKMfanHuey said...

...I knew the 'basics' of that, Lady F - but it's cool that Ginger shows up on an ESPN site!

VKMfanHuey said...

GINGER WINS!!!

...thanks to all those Gingerologists out there for propelling Miss Rogers to the crown!

KIG!!!

VKMfanHuey
---

Anonymous said...

I already voted for Ginger, but I think that it's a sure thing that my grandfather would also vote for her (she's his favorite of all time)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails