SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Morning Movie: THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA (1964)

TCM is showing several Tennessee Williams film adaptations today and I was able to watch some of The Night of the Iguana before leaving for work today. Iguana happens to be my 2nd favorite Williams work, only behind Cat on A Hot Tin Roof. Boasting stellar performances by Richard Burton (who has one helluva opening scene as a defrocked priest who lets his congregation have an earful); Deborah Kerr, in another strong role as a painter traveling with her grandfather and Ava Gardner lighting up the screen as Maxine, a woman who runs a motel and ex-flame of Burton's character. And let's not forget Sue Lyon,  as the teenage nymphet Charlotte. Excellent film. I think I will come home to watch it, as I happen to own it on DVD. And in case you wondering, the other Tennessee Williams films being shown today on TCM include Cat on A Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth and Baby Doll. A great day of film-watching for those who can catch them.

3 comments:

Mythical Monkey said...

I think The Night of the Iguana is actually my favorite film version of a Tennessee Williams play. Great performances by everybody. And I just love Ava Gardner in it. As tense as the situation is in the movie, I have always wanted to hang out on that porch drinking Rum Cocos with Ava Gardner!

Kristen said...

Watched (and reviewed) Streetcar Named Desire the other day and LOVE Baby Doll. It's the forgotten Williams film in my opinion (due to the condemnation from the Legion of Decency that prevented a theatrical release). I unfortunately filled up my Tivo with TCM stuff so gotta watch them before I can tape lol.

Kimberly J.M. Wilson said...

The Night of Iguana is a character study of insanity. It really is a difficult film to watch, but I always enjoy it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails