SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Essential Garbo

Now is the time when I write about the classic movie goddess of the month and her essential films. The films that show here at her very best and have to be seen. This month is Greta Garbo. Now I have not seen a lot of her silent era films, so this list is mainly about her latter day films. I do want to see her older films though. Maybe one day. Anyway let's get to her essentials, shall we? In no particular order...




CAMILLE (1936)
This was my very first Garbo film that I saw and I immediately fell in love with her. As the doomed courtesan, she excelled like no other. Great chemistry between her and Robert Taylor makes this one of the all time top romantic films of all time.


NINOTCHKA (1939)
My fave Garbo film has she ventured forth into my favorite film genre: screwball comedy. And after years of playing dramas and period films where she got to deliver some very dramatic and heavy dialogue, it was quite refreshing to see her do this wonderful and very funny film. 




ANNA KARENINA (1935)
Top notch drama with Garbo caught in the middle of a love triangle. Wearing some of the most gorgeous costumes, Greta was in her prime element. Great film!




GRAND HOTEL (1932)
Garbo. Barrymore. Crawford. Beery. Hersholt. Star packed melodrama that is a treat to watch. And while I think Garbo does not give the best female performance of the film, that honors goes to Joan Crawford, she is still quite engaging as Grusinskaya, the dancer.




QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933)
Another period film and another triumph for Garbo.  As queen of Sweden, she must choose between her country and the man she falls in love with. One of my personal favorites of Garbo.




MATA HARI (1931)
Who better than Garbo to play the world famous exotic dancer Mata Hari who was accused of spying for Germany during World War One. An early talkie for Garbo shows that she had not yet mastered dialogue yet. But she still created one of the most iconic images ever on film as the sexy Mata Hari.


Of special interest to me are Garbo's silent films that I have yet to see. Like The Temptress and Flesh and The Devil. Can't wait to see them! And also Anna Christie...need to watch that one as well.


My love of classic films is beyond measure

Monty

5 comments:

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

She started my love for old movies. I love her in the silents best. What a beauty. So modern. Queen Christina is my favorite from her talkie era! I want those boots!!!

Mythical Monkey said...

If you're going to see one Garbo silent, I'd recommend Flesh and the Devil which co-stars John Gilbert. She was hot hot hot and it made her a star.

Kimberly J.M. Wilson said...

Good choice, Monty. We could skip Mata Hari, though.

Kristen said...

I saw snippets of Flesh and the Devil in a film class but didn't see it all. I feel extremely bad, and probably shouldn't mention it on here, that I haven't seen a Garbo film. I know, I fail.

Unknown said...

Are you presently eager to Buy YouTube Views? If that's so, you’re on right webpage. We could help you for this issue. buy real youtube subscribers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails