SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vicky Christina Barcelona (2008) is one gorgeous looking film...and very enjoyable


Enjoyable film. I've never been a big fan of Woody Allen, with the exception of the still pretty good Hannah and Her Sisters (I love that movie, don't ask me why, just one of those things I guess). Anyway, he makes a very good film with Vicky Christina Barcelona. He takes a laid back approach and lets his cast take it and run with it. I think it also helps that Mr. Allen didn't cast himself in the film. The plot of the movie has Christina (played by Scarlett Johansson) and Vicky (played by Rebecca Hall) as American tourists spending the summer in Spain with friends. They wind up meeting a flamboyant painter named Juan Antonio (played by Javier Bardem) who shows them how to be free and enjoy life. Things get complicated when Vicky's fiance comes to Spain to marry her, and Juan's excitable ex-wife Maria Elena (played by Penelope Cruz) enter the picture. This movie is gorgeous to look at with a smooth sounding music score and wonderful dialogue. This is by far one of Woody Allen's best film in years. The entire cast is amazing..all four leads give sensational performances, especially Hall and Bardem. But also Johansson, who proves once and for all, she is more than just a pretty face. She can actually act..pretty damn good too. I recommend this to any fans of romantic films or good films in general.
B+
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Cristina: [Looking at a sculpture of Jesus] Are you very religious? Juan Antonio: No, no, no, no, I'm not. The trick is to enjoy life, accepting it has no meaning whatsoever. Cristina: No meaning? You don't think that authentic love gives life meaning? Juan Antonio: Yes, but love is so transient. Isn't it? I was in love with a most incredible woman... and then in the end... Vicky: Yes? Juan Antonio: She put a knife into me. Cristina: My God, that's terrible! Vicky: Well, maybe you did something to deserve it.

 Christina
 Vicky
 Juan Antonio
and the crazy as hell Maria Elena

3 comments:

Kimberly J.M. Wilson said...

Did you really give this a B+, Monty? Shame! Penelope Cruz's performance alone is worth an A. Still, there were a few nitpicks to be had, so I can see your point.

E. said...

It is indeed "sexy, hilarious and hugely entertaining". Although Johansson isn't my cup of tea, Cruz and Bardem make up for it. I had great fun watching it.

Kristen said...

Wasn't a huge fan of this in comparison to Match Point or Midnight in Paris but it's a great movie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails