SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Beware These Women! - The Wicked Witch Of The West of THE WIZARD OF OZ

I'm not to late for the party am I?

Truly one of cinema's most despicable women came in the form of The Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz. Granted, Dorothy did drop a house on her sister, so I guess I would be a little mad too and want some revenge. But it just seemed she enjoyed it a little too much. She was kind of gleeful in exacting her revenge against the young and innocent Dorothy. Just looking at her green complexion would give anyone the creeps. And then when you throw in that cackling voice, she becomes even worse. Her constant threats to Dorothy and Toto border on being really bizarre. And then let's not forget her really creepy flying monkeys. Those things gave me nightmares the first time I saw them. Actress Margaret Hamilton was phenomenal in actually two roles in the film: one as the witch and Miss Gulch, the neighbor to Dorothy's aunt and uncle. Miss Gulch is a more realistic character but has the same tendencies as the witch...and someone you don't want to mess with.

The Wizard of Oz
You see I told you this was the girl for you...now do you believe me?

THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST RATINGS:

SCHEMINGS - 4
MANIPULATIVE - 3
SMARTNESS - 2
TRUSTWORTHY - 0
DANGEROUS - 3

The Wizard of Oz

Quotes from The Witch herself:

Going so soon? I wouldn't hear of it. Why my little party's just beginning.



Ring around the rosie, a pocket full of spears! Thought you were pretty foxy, didn't you? Well! The last to go will see the first three go before her! And your mangy little dog, too!
 
Helping the little lady along are you, my fine gentlemen? Well stay away from her, or I'll stuff a mattress with you! And you, I'll make you into a beehive. Here Scarecrow, want to play ball?


4 comments:

Dawn said...

I love how well this movie has held up over the years, it is timeless. It is great to watch a film that was made in the thirties, and compare it to the movies made today. Loved the flying monkeys, the ruby slippers and I don't think that the casting could have been better. Judy Garland, the lion, tin man, and scarecrow all were amazing. Other things like: make-up costumes, special effects, music, and the yellow brick road are all things things that make this classic so unforgettable.

Irene Palfy said...

Margaret Hamilton is one of my favourites (I love her humour! Thank you so much for posting this video!!) - Miss Gulch/the wicked Witch are sooo terrific!

I allways thought her guards with their strange "song" were the most frightening - to me that is. My brother love them.. ;")

Audrey said...

That video was really interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

KC said...

This is totally off topic, but those monkey costumes were really elaborate! I never really noticed all the detail before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails