SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Top 5 Favorite Shirley MacLaine Films

In honor of Shirley MacLaine's birthday, here are my top 5 favorite films of hers.


1.) THE APARTMENT (1960) As the wonderful lovable elevator girl Fran Kubelik, I think this is Shirley's best film performance. And she was definitely robbed of an Oscar.

2.) SOME CAME RUNNING (1958) Another Oscar nominated performance as party girl Ginnie Moorehead who falls hard for Frank Sinatra's returning soldier.

3.) IRMA LA DOUCE (1963) Shirley is the quintessential hooker with the heart of gold who Jack Lemmon tries to save.

4.) POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) Shirley gives a larger than life performance as screen legend Doris Mann, who comes to her daughter's aid when she has trouble with relationships and drugs. Shirley and Meryl Streep make a dynamite mother/daughter pairing.

5.) STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989) On of Shirley's most remembered later day roles as faded Southern belle Ouiser Boudreaux. Amid all the other women in this cast: Sally Field, Julia Roberts, Daryl Hannah...it's Shirley who gets all the best lines.

and honorable mention goes to THE SHEEPMAN (1958) A great western comedy co-starring Glenn Ford...

5 comments:

Clara Fercovic said...

Great list!! The Apartment is my #1 too :) I have to check "Some came running". Oh, the other day I learned that the story of "Postcards from the edge" was based on an autobiographical book by Carrie Fisher, daughter, of course, of Debbie Reynolds :(

Desiree said...

I've only seen the first three on your list, but of the ones I've seen Shirley in, The Apartment is definitely my #1. :)

Irene Palfy said...

i can only agree - THE APARTMENT would be my #1, too! :")

Awesome film!!

(and I love IRMA LA DOUCE...)

Dawn said...

THE APARTMENT, is also a favorite of mine. I also loved her in, TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA.

Tom said...

Dawn, I never heard of Two Mules for Sister Sara. It sounds like it could be a western. I might have to check it out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails