SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

THE MONTIES: 1942 (MRS. MINIVER takes center stage)

Sorry for the long delay in presenting my next Monties, but here we go with the year 1942 when a certain woman named Mrs. Miniver made a lot of noise.

BEST FILM:
Walter Pidgeon and Greer Garson
TO BE OR NOT TO BE
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
IN THIS OUR LIFE
THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER
MRS. MINIVER - WINNER
THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
BAMBI
THE PALM BEACH STORY
KINGS ROW
HOLIDAY INN

I remembering seeing Mrs. Miniver for the first time when I was about 18 and was immediately amazed by it. Superb direction by William Wyler and a star making turn by Greer Garson, who had quite the year with this film and Random Harvest, which I confess I have yet to see.

BEST DIRECTOR:
On the set
ERNST LUBITSCH - TO BE OR NOT TO BE
WILLIAM WYLER - MRS. MINIVER (WINNER)
PRESTON STURGES - THE PALM BEACH STORY
SAM WOOD - THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
JOHN HUSTON - IN THIS OUR LIFE

Like I said William Wyler did an excellent job directing Mrs. Miniver and picks up his second Montie. He received a Montie previously for the 1936 film These Three.

BEST ACTOR:
The Pride of the Yankees
GARY COOPER - THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (WINNER)
MONTY WOOLLEY - THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER
JAMES CAGNEY - YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
WALTER PIDGEON - MRS. MINIVER
CARY GRANT - THE TALK OF THE TOWN

Now Gary Cooper is not one of my favorite top actors but I will be the first to admit he gave a wonderful performance as baseball legend Lou Gehrig. It was a heartfelt and natural performance that should have landed him an Oscar. Well Coop, here's a Montie from me, you deserve it.

BEST ACTRESS:
Mrs. Miniver
CAROLE LOMBARD - TO BE OR NOT TO BE
GREER GARSON - MRS. MINIVER (WINNER)
TERESA WRIGHT - THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
CLAUDETTE COLBERT - THE PALM BEACH STORY
SIMONE SIMON - CAT PEOPLE

This was one of the hardest decisions I had to make yet for my Monties. While my girl Carole Lombard gave another excellent comedic performance in To Be Or Not To Be, and then following her tragic death in that fateful plane crash, I could see my self leaning toward a sentimental nod for Carole. But Greer Garson was just too good in Mrs. Miniver. As the strong-willed and determined Mrs. Miniver, Greer gave the best performance of her career. There was no way she was not picking up this Montie. And I give a heartfelt nod to Carole.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Cary Grant and Ronald Colman
Easy Cary...you can't win all the Monties...

RUDY VALLEE - THE PALM BEACH STORY
RONALD COLMAN - THE TALK OF THE TOWN (WINNER)
ROBERT CUMMINGS - KINGS ROW
WALTER HUSTON - YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

A superb performance by the debonair Ronald Colman as Professor Michael Lightcap who ideals are put to the test. Colman shares the screen with heavyweights Cary Grant and Jean Arthur but I think he more than holds his own and gives the best performance of the three. That's saying a lot coming from this die hard Cary Grant fan.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Teresa Wright in Mrs. Miniver
Oh really, I just won a Montie? That is just wonderful!

TERESA WRIGHT - MRS. MINIVER (WINNER)
ANN SHERIDAN - THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER
AGNES MOOREHEAD - THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
MARY ASTOR - THE PALM BEACH STORY
DIANA LYNN - THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR

And so begins my crush on Teresa Wright with her outstanding performance in Mrs. Miniver. I always have said Teresa played the sweetest and most understanding characters in film, and this was one of her best. I said earlier what a year Greer had in 1942, well Teresa had a pretty good year as well. She gave another stellar performance in The Pride of the Yankees. I expect she may pick up a few more Monties when it is all said and done.

So the final tally has Mrs. Miniver nearly sweeping the Monties by picking up four awards: Film, Director, Actress, and Supporting Actress. Gary Cooper notches his first Montie while Ronald Colman does the same.

Next up: 1943

2 comments:

Patti said...

Yay, Coop got a Montie!!! I am SO with you on him getting this one. (You know, I think Cary was robbed in 1941 and that he, not Coop, should have won.) But I definitely think this was Coop's award. While I love James Cagney and think he was the best actor who ever lived and ought to have received several Oscars, and while I think he was great in Yankee Doodle Dandy, I just think Coop deserved this one.

Pride of the Yankees is my #2 Coop film, just a tiny smidge behind Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. And it always makes me cry...every single time I watch it.

Oh, and Monty Wooley was spectacular in The Man Who Came to Dinner.

Desiree said...

Yayyy, I am so glad Mrs. Miniver won all those Monties, especially for Greer Garson and Teresa Wright!!! They were both so amazing in that movie... thinking about it, I almost cry, because that movie really is tearjerker.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails