SIMPLY CAROLE

SIMPLY CAROLE
CAROLE LOMBARD - My Favorite Actress

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Classic Horror Films: Day 30 (THE RAVEN - 1963)

This, my friends, will be the last of my short classic horror film posts for Monty’s Horror Film Fest. So for that post I chose one of my favourite films ever – with two of my all-time favourite actors: Vincent Price and Peter Lorre – and the film that I want to tell you about today also contains one of my favourite animals – actually it’s called after that animal – and also is reminiscenting the famous poem of one of my favourite authors - Edgar Allan Poe:

The Raven (1963)

Magician Dr. Craven (Vincent Price) is mourning about the loss of his wife Lenore (Hazel Court) when not so very talented but poisoned-tongued magician Dr. Bedlo (Peter Lorre) appears, who was changed into a raven.

With Dr. Bedlo’s not so bright son Rexford (Jack Nicholson) and Dr. Craven's daughter Estelle (Olive Sturgess) they go on a trip to mean magician Dr. Scarabus (Boris Karloff) who had done that magical change – and who apparently is in the company of not-as-dead-as-thought Lenore.. Soon there is a magic duel going on between Dr. Scarabus and Dr. Craven..

Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff were - as you hopefully might know - not only geniuses when it came to horror films but also when it comes to comedy. This film just is fun to watch and I imagine the actors had a great time performing.

For lovers of beautiful women we have the gorgeous Hazel Court and Olive Sturgess.

I love the little horror film gimmicks like a tarantula and other “creepy” animals appearing.. And Jack Nicholson's change from easy minded to possessed and back again is really worth a look.

This film was one of my favourites when I was a child - and I still adore it.

Well.. thank you all for reading my posts and commenting on them in this festival.

I hope you all have a wonderful spooky Halloween!

Yours

Irene

This it is – and nothing more..

… ...

Quoth, the Raven ‘Nevermore..'

3 comments:

Michael Troutman said...

I have one question for you. Are you some dark winged messenger from beyond or are you the vicitim of some sort of diabolical mind control. Sorry, it's one of me all time favorites and I wrote about earlier in the year so it's still fresh in my memory. I couldn't resist.

monty said...

Thank you for all your help this month Irene. I enjoyed all your postings.

Irene Palfy said...

Michael Troutman:

"How the hell should I know? - What am I? A fortune teller?"

Pleasure to meet you! Who could resist? It's a great film!! Read your review now - marvellous!


Monty:

You're welcome! I enjoyed it to be part of this wonderful festival! So: Thank you soo much for asking me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails